TUPPER LAKE – A double-wide mobile home caught fire in Tupper Lake Tuesday night in a blaze that local firefighters say incinerated the home before they arrived on the scene. No one was injured in the blaze, according to Tupper Lake Volunteer Fire Department fire apparatus operator Mark Picerno.
TLVFD responded to a call for a reported structure fire with an unknown entrapment — meaning it was unclear if anyone was still inside the burning building — at 435 Hosley Ave. at 9:11 p.m. Monday. Picerno said the department responded with two trucks, an engine, a tank truck and 21 firefighters. By the time the department arrived on the scene, Picerno said, they saw there was “no backup” the House.
“When we arrived, the roof (of the house) had already disappeared and the rest of the house was totally in flames”, said Picerno.
Picerno said the mobile home owner’s father was on the scene and he told firefighters no one lived in the house.
Since the fire was so advanced when firefighters arrived on the scene, Picerno said the only thing firefighters could do was perform an initial assessment of the fire and begin what he called a “surround and drown” fire fighting method. He said the firefighters gathered around the hell and “load” with 15,000 gallons of water.
TLVFD called the Piercefield Volunteer Fire Department and the Saranac Lake Volunteer Fire Department to help each other. Picerno said the department of Piercefield brought its water tanker, along with six firefighters, to deliver more water to the scene. After TLVFD arrived on the scene, Picerno said the department told the Saranac Lake Department to stand by at the SLVFD station because the house was a total loss.
New York State Police and the Tupper Lake EMS were also on the scene, Picerno said, and the Tupper Lake electrical department responded to shut off power to the home. He said Sunmount security personnel were providing traffic control. Picerno said TLVFD was back in service around midnight Tuesday.
Picerno said it’s unclear what started the fire, and he guessed it would be hard to find out.
“My experience is that with the amount of damage – since they were on the ground – the cause of this fire will be indeterminate,” he added. he said.
The smell of smoke filled the entire village on Monday evening, according to Picerno, who said he could smell the fumes as he left his home on Sunset Avenue – about a mile and a half from the scene – to meet the ‘call.